Re: [Harp-L] SM 57

you'll find many people saying that Beta 58 (or 57) oare very expensive and it is better to get a SM58 which is the same!!!! That's TOTTALLY WRONG!!!

I own a Beta 58 A and I can tell you that this mic is a real mic. Really pro stuff! Nothing bad to say about that mic.

The Beta 57 was used by Jr Wells and is a good mic, but I still prefer a Beta 58 A. Strong signal, smooth and warm sound, sensitive!! Perfect! Much better than any SM 58. Try it before, but I am pretty sure that you will buy it.

That's a great microphone! You can play cupping the mic between your hands or play the mic on a stand, and you will have the sound you're looking for. Of course, it is not a vintage mc151, but it is easier to use and to get the sound you're looking for with a Beta 58.

Moreover, if you're performing with a sound engineer, it will be easier for him if you use a Beta 58 A, and if ever you're robbed (I wish you to not) you can easily replace your Beta 58 A, not like if you have a Vintage Astatic 200 with its original element.

I also use the Beta 56 for saturated sounds. Great stuff.

I do not know to much about microphone (in fact I do not know anything), and I can't explain why there are good or not, but I am sure of one thing: SM 56, 57 and 58A are very very good. Try them.
and keep me in touch
Froggy

Grant Kester <gkester@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear List,

I had some technical problems at a gig last night and had to play
through our backup vocalists mic (new AKG) rather than my old standby
SM57. It seemed to have a much stronger signal and I've been wondering
if it's worth switching from the 57 to something like a Beta 58. Has
anyone had any experience in terms of the differences between the 57
and the Beta series (esp. the 58) or other comparable vocal mics (for
harp use)?

Thanks,
Grant