[Harp-L] Re: being a street musician

Russ

Playing on the street is great fun.

I always found as a harmonica player that I made more money playing in a band
on the street that playing solo (you make more even dividing the money up
between 4-5 players than playing solo).  Play amplified if you can (there are
some good battery powered amps out there).

If the police come just move on.

Unless you are making a lot of money, which i doubt, i dont think you will
have any problems with the "mafia" - If you give them 50 percent of you hourly
solo wage you will give them what 2 bucks?

crowds attract crowds (crowds usually dont gather around a solo harp player
(just the facts mam)

I used to play on the street 25+ years ago (solo and with a number of
different combos including harp and washtub bass, to a full band with drums and a 2
piece horn section) so this is old info.

I did play solo on the street a couple of times in Montreal (without the
licence) and I found it as i remembered it - It is a great way to play in front of
people and a lot of fun - but there is no money in it - after an hour or two
when i quit I only made maybe 50 cents which i gave to a panhandler.

have fun

Russ