RE: [Harp-L] re: shaker mic/cherub

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Hines" <billhines4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 8:20 AM
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] re: shaker mic/cherub

> But you can't tight-cup a vocal mic, and this is a vocal mic, right? I
> just wonder how the Shure is used then, for acoustic or non-blues
> applications?

Carrie Bell used a vocal mic to great effect, I'm told SM58 was his weapon
of choice.
Paul Butterfield cupped his 545SD to great effect throughout most of his
career with the exception of his first album.  Apparantly Corgy Segiel as
well.
Jason Ricci has a very compressed tone and used to use a cupped SM57.
Norton Buffalo cups a pricey vocal mic to get a huge warm sound.

Vocal mics CAN be cupped with harp, it compresses their tone dramatically,
and they produce fantastic results.  I have included instructions for
Bullet mics and Wand vocal mics here:
http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/ampdmics.html

I think cupping a ball and stick vocal like an SM58 is similar enough to a
bullet that I don't need to write instructions about it.

The main reason the harp guys in the fiftes played the bullet mics were
because they were poor, and the mics were ubiquitous cheap junk that could
be had for $5 at the local pawn shop.   Bullet mics are after all vocal
mics.  They were used for CB radios like US coastguards and in Taxi Cabs,
probably many other uses as well at the time.
It was a happy accident that they can be made to sound so cool.

-- G.