Re: [Harp-L] tongue roll

I once saw a guy named Jimmie Wood playing harp with Pinetop Perkins, and he did a "trill" with no visible hand or head movement. So I'm guessing he did it much like Sonny's method described here. I was pretty impressed that he was able to get the warble without the wiggle.

SONNYTONE@xxxxxxx wrote:

I hope Mr.Kinsella can help you, but I know Tom Ball and Paul Lamb will back me up on this: Sonny Terry used the tongue trill exclusively, where the tip of the tongue is tilted up slightly, and the tongue moves from side to side, between the two notes, rapidly. The tongue is a muscle that can be trained if it starts out too slowly. One can also do it with straight tongue side to side, I prefer the tilt up. Tom, you agree? _______________________________________________
Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx