Re: [Harp-L] re: amps on Ebay

Do people buy amps on Ebay? How do you know if the amp works? How do you know
what it sounds like? Same with mics. Any instrument really. It would scare the
heck out of me to spend any money on something like that.

Not the best thing to buy on ebay, heavy to ship and fragile, but mostly you can't try it, models change frequently so its hard to know what its going to sound like in the best of situations. In the worst case tubes could be old, the amp could have an intermitent problem. My experience with auctions is that things sell for fair value, there are few bargains.

I think the better way to buy is to look up local internet want adds sites, that way when you see something you like you can go over and try it. Also visits stores first, I've tried expensive amps that sounded like crap (thin) and tried cheap ones that sounded good. In particular I've tried several tube amps that sounded like solid state amp. So why pay more for the tube then? Thing is some people may like that particular sound for some style of music.

Pierre.