Re: [Harp-L] RE: amps on Ebay

Bill Hines wrote:
I wouldn't go nuts about zero negative feedback. I've sold a lot of stuff
and I have ONE negative feedback, and it is from over a year ago. This was
from a 20-something year old that won a bid for some concert tix my daughter
couldn't use (very expensive 2nd row seats for Christina Aguilera I
believe). As the concert got close and she hadn't sent payment, I started to
worry. She kept jerking me around, saying she'd sent payment, right up until
just before the show date. Then she finally admitted that her she changed
her mind about going (her winning bid was for face value, not a scalp). I
had to give the tix away, and I gave her negative feedback because she
persisted in lying to me for weeks. She turned around and gave me negative
feedback for spite! So some things you can't control (such as who wins your
auctions!). Don't eliminate sellers just because they don't have zero
negatives. Every other auction I have sparkling feedback because I'm always
honest and ship immediately upon receipt of payment. If the seller has only
ten ratings and one is negative, then be wary. If they have many (as many
ebay sellers do) I wouldn't sweat a single negative. Read the info and see
what they did wrong.

You have to consider seller volume and the content of the negative feedback. If you sell enough stuff you're going to have some customers who aren't satisfied. Sellers who have a consistent pattern of not responding to reasonable concerns are different from sellers that get negative feedback because the buyer thought the shipping cost displayed in the listing was too high or because it took a couple of weeks for something shipped parcel post to arrive.

In over a hundred transactions I've had two problems. One was damage in transit. The seller filed an insurance claim and credited my Paypal account. The other was an item not quite as described. It took a while, but the seller made it good to my satisfaction. I've also had some transactions that weren't completely pleasing to me, but I knew I was gambling based on the description and the price. I've never given negative feedback.

I'm amazed how honest most people have been. I know I'm going to get burned if I buy enough stuff, but I doubt the risk is greater than buying something at a yard sale, flea market, or buying a used musical instrument directly from the owner.

My rule has always been for buying anything including in stores is that you need to know enough about what you are buying to make an informed decision without any help from the seller.
--
Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly