Re: [Harp-L] tongue roll/full-tone-bend

Harmonica players never make mistakes, They just "Blow It"

From: G <gigs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] tongue roll/full-tone-bend
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 12:26:17 +1300

I'm right handed, I use my left hand to secure the harmonica, and to hold a
mic, my right hand is free to add expression/cupping, and also good for
pushing the harmonica around for techniques like warbling.

Holding my head and neck still but relaxed, move the harmonica left and
right  to alternate which hole is being played by your embouchure
(pucker/lipping, tongue block).

G. Do you move both hands together, or do you hold the harp in your left hand loosely and use the right hand to sort of push it back and forth? I seem to have a problem getting my hands to want to move smoothly together, but if I use my right hand as the driver it seems to work OK.

When I am going between , say three notes, and they are all blow or all draw. I will sometimes use a roll of my tongue, as if I were saying "twiddle-dee-dee". I don't know if it is a correct way of transitioning between notes but, it seems to add variety to the song.

Doyle