[Harp-L] Who would win?

Superman vs Mitch Weiss, who would win? .............MY money is on Mitch

I had started the year pretty gloomy and depressed. I have been quiet pretty much all month. This comes on the heels of my having stated that some people are SO good, that there is no reason for me to continue on. I therefore, tossed my harps in the bay. I mean, what's the use?

There are musicians, those that OWN instruments, there are people who PLAY instruments, and then there are those who ARE the instrument.
I had started sucking tunes off the Ampcast website, and after feeling guilty about listening for free, decided to pay for the tunes. I won't go into detail(s) but I am now the proud (read-exstatic) possessor of 30 of these "gems".

Here is a brief summary of the first 10:

1. A night in Tunesia.........Done with a Latin beat and slower than a Re-Bopper would do it, I feel it is EXACTLY as it should be done. And instead of having a lot of other instruments trying to drown out the harp, you hear ALL the notes. It is done very cleanly and clearly. I enjoyed it so much, I was sitting on the edge of my chair.

2. Because of you.......Nice original tune with pretty background singing. Mitch has a tasty blues style voice. I thought it was very catchy and didn't sound like anything else I can remember.

3. East end blues......Wow, some of the best choices of notes I have ever heard. It was SO New Orleansy that I felt I was sitting on Bourbon st. smelling creole cooking. The style was so "black". I had a hard time visualizing this coming from a white guy. I try to play clarinet in that same distorted fashion, but it's not as "vocal" as harp.

4. Girl from Ipenema......Loved the feathering of the ends of the phrasing. Stunning Improv portion AND the use of flats was delicious. He captures the Brasillian mood so well. The use of the high end of the harmonica WAS a surprise. Most use the lower octave more and it sounds "droney", but not this guy. Tony Charles (Jobim) should be looking up from his burried crate and smiling.

5. Pork pie hat.....Gut wrenching. Absolutely scarey. I felt it should have been used for the movie Taxi Driver instead of the stuff that they did use. I was immediately transported back in time to my childhood home on E 93rd st. N.Y. Haunting/Laconic stuff, this.

6. Elizabeth Reed.....Impecable timing. Some high pitched stuff that would have Stevie Wonder...well...wondering. I especially liked the Arabic ending "fade-out". While many musicians would take the easy way out at the ending of a tune, Mitch drops in SEVERAL bonus measures to tickle your ear drums. (and at NO extra cost).

7. Joy spring....TOUGH tune. Here, he shows that he isn't at all timid about changing keys about a quarter quadrizillion times. It CAN't get better than this folks. The notes are so clean and clear, it just made you FEEL joy because it WAS spring.

8. A Latin tune I don't have the name for, but is was soothing and reminiscent of something I would expect to hear from Meurkens. You could tell that Mitch feels a lot pain. Why exactly, is anyone's guess.

9. MILES AWAY.....Jesus.....this is an absolute S T U N N E R. I had to listen to it a couple times. Io predicto that this tune WILL be the next Jazz GREAT. Harmony horn players will WANT to cover this tune. It features a duet and the meshing of the two harmonicas is so good that Gillespi & Parker would have been hard pressed to do as well. It MUST get out to all the Jazz stations. It MUST get published. It MUST be heard. It's not fair to keep it a secret. It's the best piece of composition I have heard in over 30 years. Maybe better than Little Sunflower.

10. Moanin.....Amazing runs and a great piece of work, but after Miles Away, I was STILL in la-la land.

Sooo, be advised that I have never met Mitchell, wouldn't know him from a bag of zucchini, and was not even authorized to write this. About every 7 years I come across someone who is so far out in orbit that I get these feelings that everyone should just throw these harps away and find something else to do. In 1990 it was Hendrik Meurkens. Last year it's Mitch Weiss.

The only thing that will beat them (MY opinion) is time. OK, back into my closet...........the ghost of smokey-joe