[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 28, Issue 62( Seydel Hochlandsklange)

To Colin Fulton: The Seydel company has a lot of new ideas in harmonica
tunings and note placement systems. If you haven't done so already, check the
Seydel website for a more detailed explanation of the Hochlandsklange. The
Seydel website: _www.c-a-seydel.com_ (http://www.c-a-seydel.com) .
I'm not a representative or salesperson for the Seydel company.

I've ordered 2 Hochlandsklange, one for myself and one for another harp
maniac. I'm a collector and performer, and as far as I know, this harp is  unique,
with the possible exception of the Hohner "Johnny," made and  discontinued
about 10 or more years back, for the European market. When the  Hochlandsklange
harps arrive, I'll play one for a week or so,
then make a report to Harp-L. The Hochlandsklange is only available in G.
Here are incomplete answers to your questions:

What does it (Hochlandsklange) do? It has all the  functions and effects of a
tremolo diatonic harmonica. You can play single note  melodies, chords, and
you can play melodies in duet style.

How do you play it? Play it like a tremolo harp. No extra  techniques are
needed, as far as I know. How do I play it? I won't know  until it arrives, after
practice and exploration for a week or more.

How is it different? It has 2-part melodies  possible on every note of the
scale. Tremolos, octave harps, chord harps, single  reed diatonics, and even
slide chromatics have limited
2-part harmonies available, but not on every note of the scale.

Is it worth getting? For me, yes. From the collector's  angle, it's a unique
harp, rare, thus collectible. For me, the performer,  let's wait for the
report. For you, consider your needs and interests. If  you play music styles that
use 2-part harmonies (country, folk, classical, pop,  latin, gospel,
religious,ethnic), it may be perfect for you. If you like to play  "a mouthful of
notes" in a chordal fashion, like Bob Dylan or Billy Joel, I  think the 10-hole
diatonic Richter system harp is more useful, and cheaper. If  you are a
collector, buy one. No one can predict the demand for this harp. It  could be
discontinued, like the Hohner "Johnny."

That's all for now. Let's wait for the report before spending your  "do."
HOJO.