Re: [Harp-L] Baroque or classical at SPAH

---*[Robert wrote:]---*
*I play classical Harmonica Concertos for a living with symphonies all over
the world, and yet SPAH does not invite me to their annual events in spite
of my willingness to go and to teach.*
 You have me confused, Robert. I had never heard of you until you were a
featured performer at SPAH (Dallas 2003). In fact, that you were scheduled
to perform and do what all you do was the only reason a friend of mine who
tried his best to introduce me to you and your music drove 10 hours from
"the Valley" (Texas) to attend the convention in Dallas for the brief time
he was able to manage (in between his many other official and familial
obligations which ordinarily would have prevented him from attending at
all). You were my friend's only true draw to the convention, and he did not
miss any part of your playing that he did not have to -- even in the blues
jam. So, I guess I do not understand your assertion that SPAH does not
invite you to their events. Had SPAH not invited you to perform in Dallas,
my friend would have never known that you were going to be there and would
not have attended, and I would not even know that you exist. You are not
flying high on the classical music "radar" here in Texas, at least not yet.
Given time, I expect you will. Mark O'Conner (fiddle/violin) and several
others have managed to make it -- finally.
 I have only attended three conventions so far, though I have been a member
much longer than that. However, there has been at least one classical show
at every convention so far -- each time a different player. I have found it
impressive that they have taken the care to have at least one classical
player each year. I hope they continue the trend. Granted, I doubt we will
ever be able to see any of the classical players in full session with a
symphony, but we have seen wonderful shows each year with at least a piano
for back-up -- which tells us more about the quality of the player than we
might learn in a symphonic session (where some things may not stand out as
well). However, a symphonic session would be very cool. Or, perhaps, some
form of ensemble group utilizing harmonica?
 It occurs to me that we were lucky this year in the Americana seminar to
have a few minutes with a real bluegrass band. Since we were in Tulsa Read's
home town, his bluegrass band obliged his request to help him out at the
seminar. Bluegrass is an ensemble music. It was nice to be able to
demonstrate it as such, in reality. Had it not been for Tulsa and his hard
work, sweat, worry, etc., however, a lot of what that seminar finally turned
into being would not have developed.
 Perhaps, I am missing something in the conversation or at the convention,
but I have seen nothing so far to suggest you are by any means unwanted at
SPAH. I hope to see you there again sometime. In the meantime, keep up the
good work with your seminars. A lot of what you need to teach would have
difficulty fitting within a single hour or so seminar and deserves a more
personal touch, like what you provide at your own seminars.
 Cara Cooke