[Harp-L] Re: Open Jams

john merx wrote:

Could you all give us some examples of the structure of different jams you have
played at? Perhaps we will find something new that we have overlooked and it
will make the difference in the blues jam for scores of musicians, hundreds of
fans, the bar that hosts it.....

First, congratulations on having such a successful jam.  Where is this jam
located?

Here are a couple of thoughts.

1) If there is a wide diversity of musicians and musical styles you might
consider "designated" jams.  One could be strictly blues, another could be
non-blues, another could be acoustic only, etc.

2) Sign in sheets are tough to manage.  They are usually first in first up.  But
then the first 5 guys might be guitar players.  You (the host) have to try to
"put together" bands and get everyone up to play.  Some people only want to
play with certain other people.  Some people who sign up early have an
expectation of getting up early.

One way I've seen this handled differently is to use a sheet that has say four
boxes on the page.  Each box represents a "band".  Each box contains instrument
names: guitar, bass, drums, vocals, keys, harp, other.  The boxes are filled in
by the players.  If you are a whole band you just fill out the whole box.  If
you're a harp player and you want to play with a certain guitar player you both
sign up for a specific box.  This allows whole bands to play together and still
allows for some "bands of the moment" to play.  It also tells the players when
to expect to get up and play.  If each box represents a 3 song or 15 minute
slot, then its easy to know when its your turn.

Best Regards to All,

Larry Boy Pratt
www.parkhousejam.com