Re: [Harp-L] Off-topic to ON-TOPIC: Perfect Pitch

Pitch awareness has many layers - relative pitch, perfect pitch to name the
big two.

They are closely related, yet not quite the same.

An understanding of what they are can lead to incorporating them into your
musicianship which will translate to a better ability to play notes on diatonic
with bending techniques.

If you can't hear clearly, in you own inner ear, what a 3 inhale bend to the
first 1/2 step is, you can't expect the harmonica to "give you" this note.

Relative pitch is the ability to preconceive an interval in your inner ear.
Real world verification is your ability to sing the pitch correctly. If you can
sing it, you can play it (on harmonica or other "unfretted" instrument, such
as violin). If you can't sing it, you will have a hard time playing it. Keep
in mind that you don't need a pleasant or professional singing voice to do this.

David Burge had two great series of self-learning tapes - one was the famous
Perfect Pitch and the other was a "lesser known", but I found hugely valuable,
series called Relative Pitch.

I don't have the order info, but I'm sure a search on google would provide
the curious with what they need.

The Iceman