Re: [Harp-L] Dorian tuned alternative

....It's just your blues brain imprisoning you to mediocrity.
-JR 2005

The dorian tuning has intrigued me. I think that there are many merits to it.
There are 2 things that are lost:
-No major 3rd anywhere (note B in cross harp G on a C harp) this eliminates the full chromatic capabilities of the Richter tuning. (the other missing note is C# overdraw on draw 7-this is the b5 in G and a very important blue note.
-NO "1/2 flat" 3rd in crossharp (the note between Bb & B) you can always get this note when bending on a Richter harp. This is the 3rd that singers sing over a major/dominant blues. This is something that I always notice when someone plays 3rd position D minor over a D7 blues. It is even more apparent in a Just Intonation tuning where 5 draw is REALLY FLAT.

All this tells me that the chordal advantages do come at a price. Does the well equipped altered tuning player's case have over 100 harps, including backups? My brain hurts now!

I want a comping chord tuning with hip voicings, can somebody make that happen?

The nameless one content? NONE?

Michael Peloquin come to Jam Camp in San Diego, Oct 14-16, 2005 tell them Michael sent you! http://www.gindick.com http://www.harpsax.com