[Harp-L] Re: Dorian & Reassembled LO's

At 10:31 PM 8/13/2005 -0700, CHARLES BASSI wrote:
>After I made my A Dorian harp I had a perfectly
>good top reedplate from the A natural minor
>and a perfectly good bottom reedplate from the
>D major diatonic left over, so of course I reassembled
> them into another harmonica.
>This is the note layout that resulted:
>
>Blow
>D  F  A  D  F  A  D  F  A  D
>E  A C# E  G  B  C#E  G  B
>Draw
>
>I'm not sure what I've got here.
>other than a D melodic minor scale
>(ascending) in holes 4 through 7.
>
>This harmonica sounds weird - and not necessarily weird
>in a good way.

Well, you could always just retune the C# draw reeds in holes 3 and 7 down a
half step to C and reclaim your A natural minor harp; or raise the F blow
reeds, holes 2, 5 and 8, a half step to F# to recreate your D major harp.

Obviously, this also points to the fact that you could have also created that
Dorian harp by simply retuning the same way on either harmonica... raise the
3 blow F# reeds a half step on the A natural minor harp, or lower the 2 draw
C# reeds on the D major harp.

You'd then, of course, just transform one of the harmonicas, and would also
still have the other regular, unaltered harp as well.

Bobbie