Re: [Harp-L] I dropped my SP 20 and SF Blues clubs

----- Original Message ----- From: "billannette" <mojoworkin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 12:28 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] I dropped my SP 20 and SF Blues clubs

Hi all-

I dropped my special 20, and now the 3 draw won't play right. I took the cover off and looked inside, but did not see anything obviously out of whack-Any suggestions for someone who has never worked on the inside of a harp before (me)? Or should I just get another one?

If you are considering getting another harp, then you have nothing to lose by trying to fix it yourself! Even if you try and fail, you may not have harmed it and a technician can still fix it.

There is no way of telling for sure without examining the harp. However, I would guess that the fall (specifically the sudden stop at the end of the fall :o) ) has made the "bad" reed twist about its rivet so that it touches one side of the slot. This is a common problem that all harp technicians encounter.

Diagnosis: Remove the reedplate and view the reed against a very bright light such as a fluorescent tube. Close one eye and look at the little slivers of light along the sides of the reeds. They should be of equal width and brightness. If one is wider and brighter than the other, the reed is out of alignment.

Treatment: The best tool to use is a "reed wrench" that comes with the Oscar and Farrell toolkits. However a small longnose pliers or a pair of square-nosed tweezers can work OK in a pinch. Carefully grasp the square pad at the end of the reed and rotate the reed to center it in the slot. Bear in mind that the angle is tiny so hardly any rotation is needed. Recheck the alignment as above and play the reed by holding the plate on the comb with your fingers before you replace the screws.

Let us know if this fixes the problem.

Vern