[Harp-L] A harp story

Hi all,

     Just thought I would post this positive experience I had a couple of
weeks ago. I was in Nashville for the national chess championships with my 15
year old son. Six thousand kids from all over the country. I was walking down a
crowded area of the hotel when I heard the sound of a chord harmonica. I
tracked it down, and started talking to these 5 or 6 inner city kids. The one with
the harmonica said he knew how to play but was to bashful to play anything for
me. So I showed him my Marine Band and started to play some boogie riffs.
Well, these kids started dancing and smiling. They really reacted to the music.
But best of all, and most encouraging was this 14 year old from Minnesota. He
approach me and asked me how long I have been playing. What impressed me about
this youngman was his thirst for music. He seemed to be on the right road.

   He knew who Sonnyboy Williamson was. Yeah, that surprises me. He seemed
genuinely interested in the masters and history of the harp. There is hope for
the next generation! He also was taking weekly lessons on diatonic back home.
It was very refreshing for me to connect with his generation on this level. The
music will live on.  One of many great experiences I have had,  thanks to the
harp.

                                  Positively,

                                     Chris Mastakas