[Harp-L] Re: Subject: Re:Sho-fu points

To any one interested: I sell dental supplies and have ready access to all types of rotary instruments, such as carbide burs, diamond burs and sho-fu points. Feel free to contact me and I'll order what you want, and will be glad to make them available individually, rather than by the dozen.
Doyle Yoder
----- Original Message ----- From: "G" <gigs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 6:36 AM
Subject: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Echo Vamper

>Steve Shaw wrote:
This is not a double-reeded Echo, but an ancient 12-hole diatonic in C
that a friend has just given me.  .... 8<
I still have a serious problem though.  He must have stored it
damp, because the covers have hundreds of tiny corrosion spots that
make it almost too rough on the lips to play for more than a couple of
minutes.  Can I do anything about this, such as use a fine abrasive,
or will I make it worse?  Any suggestions welcome. This harp is worth
saving.
Steve

Fernando Bresslau <bresslau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Hi, Steve. Indeed, it is the same harmonica with different covers. Having said that, you might as well install new Marine Band 364 covers on it. Another option is to use steel wool to remove the dust. I guess that the covers are chrome plated. Sind chrome is harder than steel, the wool shouldn't leave marks on it, only remove the softer rust. But test it on a small protion first, to be sure.

All the best,
Fernando

Hi Steve and Fernando,
I've worked on quite a few old Hohner harps with covers like this, in
that they're not chromed, but are a form of stainless steel. To begin with
I suggest using a light polishing cream intended for metal - I use a
slightly more abrasive product called 'AutoSol', and apply it with an old
rag.
Autosol which comes in a tube, should be available at any vehicle related
store, same place you'll find tools, car washing kits, battery jumper
leads, spare tail light bulbs and tow ropes.

However if the cover surface has "bubbled", but only to minor degree then
I start out with judicious application of a rotary tool fitted with a PC2
Shofu Brownie - they're a soft abrasive rubber, then finish off using Autosol.

I've had really badly corroded Hohner covers of various models, which while
they can never be returned to their former glory, they can be resurrected
for practical use.
I'll scrape off the worst of the crud off using a brass tool with a wedge
at the end, then take the corrosion down to the surface using a finer grade
of wet and dry (300 - 600), then the Shofu Brownie, and finish with Autosol.

You can buy rotary tools from various hobby and craft sources, look for
something tha can handle both 1/8" and 3/32" shanks - the PC2 shofu
brownies come on a 3/32" shank.  Shofu outlets are typically set up for
supplying dentists, and come by the dozen.  Joe's Virtual Music Shop used
to sell Shofu Brownies individually, sadly he closed down.

Mike Eastern describes shofu products, and includes images in his tuning
article found here:
http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/mikesretuning.html

-- G.