Re: [Harp-L] 12 bar vs. country blues

Ross Macdonald wrote:
First time poster here - and no this is not weighing in on Shakin' Smith
<<G>>.  I'm 40% of the way there to mastering the blues harp according to
Gindick's "5 minutes to play and 5 years to master".  Am most at home playin
cross harp to the 12 bar blues and am just starting to venture into other
genres, have just joined a country blues band - Memphis Jug Band, Blind
Blake stuff etc. and I find it incredibly difficult when compared to the 12
bar blues.  I think it's the change patterns, but it feels like it is not
just the difference in changes. I can't really tell if 2nd position is the
way to go.

Any suggestions out there on how to speed up the country blues learing
curve.  Am an avid Harp-l reader - and for a dedicated novice, this site is
so valuable.

I think the easiest thing to do is learn the melody before trying to improvise. Some things lay out better in 2nd, some better in first. A lot of the Noah Lewis, Will Shade, et al. is played in first. Very little of the country blues/string band music is played in other positions. If you fumble around for the melody notes on a few tunes, you'll learn how to play a lot of them. Many ragtime songs include a VI, II, V progression. Another thing you'll see a lot is I, I7, IV, IV dim7 (?) (I'll admit it, I'm an ear player and don't know the dim and aug chord names--just know where to play them on the guitar. <g>)

Some good template tunes from the players you mention would be:

Blind Blake--"West Coast Rag," "That'll Never Happen No More," "Diddy Wah Diddy," (really a 12 bar gussied up a bit.)

MJB--"Cocaine Habit," "Sun Brimmer Blues," "Stealin."

A good ragtime song that provides you with almost all the things my might run into is "I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate."

Another thing that may be useful is that a lot of songs follow the 32 bar pop tune form. There are two separate progressions, both 8 bars long. One for the bridge and another for the other three sections.

Jug band music is one of my favorite things to play. Good luck.

-- Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly