Re: [Harp-L] bass harp question

Michelle wrote (about the Victory bass)
I have one in near-new condition that I snagged off eBay for $50.
_______

Fifty bucks? Wow, that's the deal of the century for any double bass harp, Michelle, well done! I gotta start paying more attention to eBay...

_______

Please let us know what you decide and how you do with whatever bass harp
you end up with.

_______

After swapping many Email's with bassists and harp-techs from around the globe, it turns out I'm buying a restored pre-war Hohner 265 (G-to-G) from Dick Gardner.

_______

Also, having a few ideas of my own, I'm very curious what
you intend to do with it (if'n you don't mind my asking). 8^)

_______

Well, first I have to learn to play the beast! I have zero experience on one. I've not as yet taken possession of it, so perhaps I'm being naive in assuming I can even learn it (?) We'll see. It'll be tons o' fun trying.

I intend to spend the next several months woodshedding out in the garage, and if all the silver fillings haven't fallen out of my teeth by then, I'll try to find a way to work it into the arsenal. Never held a harp so heavy, tho. (Hmmm... I wonder if SPAH does steroid testing at the convention?) :)

Seriously I doubt the bass will have a lot of application with the Tom & Kenny show. But (assuming I can learn to play it,) I hope it will be a useful tool for what has thankfully turned out to be a growing demand for session work. Of course it'd take a lifetime to play even close to the way Dick (or my pal Danny Wilson) plays, but I s'pose it's never too late to start? <shrug>

In any event, thanks, Michelle, for your input! You've obviously done your homework on the basses... (For example I didn't realize the Suzuki bass had welded-on reeds.) How do you reckon you'll employ your bass? Let us know?

cheers and stay in touch,

Tom Ball <-- soon to be butchering the low frequencies in Santa Babs

.