Re: [Harp-L] Does SPAH need harmonica competition - in brief

Migt be a good idea to make SPAH more famous
.
I will sound pretentious then, but if SPAH Convention become a contest, they'll lose my membership...

Froggy

Philharpn@xxxxxxx wrote:
Maybe what SPAH needs is a harmonica competition that would draw outsiders
(the public) and harmonica players who would not otherwise attend a standard
issue convention plus provide national news attention.
I came across a story about the International Whistling Convention whhich has
been holding contests annually for 32 years.
This might be something that could run in conjunction with the SPAH
convention. Maybe on a Friday night. Maybe not every year but every five years.
While the Internet and Harp-L have boosted SPAH's visibility in the last few
years, maybe it could use some more help.
(Reality check. What has whistling got to do with harmonica? To the general
public whistling and playing the harmonica are in the same general hobby
category; a nice pastime, but not to be taken too seriously.)
I was browsing the Associated Press wire last night and I came across a brief
story about the 32nd International Whistlers Convention in Louisburg, N.
Carolina. April 18-24.
>From what I could figure out (sponsoring Franklin County Arts Council's Web
site) there are no money prizes but contestants pay $20 and there is a pricey
$15 banquet.
While I generally dislike music contests, national and international contests
do tend to draw more attention than simply holding a convention for the beli
evers.
Maybe this is what SPAH needs
http://www.whistlingiwc.com/
Colorado woman among the winners at International Whistlers Convention!
LOUISBURG, N.C. (AP) â?? The Seven Dwarfs did it at work. Some people do it in
the shower. But it takes a special kind of person to whistle competitively.
At the 32nd annual International Whistlersâ?? Convention, the best of the best
gathered Saturday to whistle their hearts out. Sandra Henzler of Fort Collins,
Colo., took first place among women for songs that included â??Poor Wandering One
â?? and â??Queen of the Night Revenge Aria.â?? Geert Chatrou of Mierlo, The
Netherlands, took first place among men for songs that included â??Fete de la Belleâ??
and â??Concerto in C Major.â?? Todd Dickerson of Hickory, N.C., whistled â??Air
des Bijouxâ?? to win teenage champion honors. The childrenâ??s grand champion was
Emily Edwards of Louisburg for her rendition of â??Battle Hymn of the Republic.â??
Two people won Entertainer of the Year awards: Steve Herbst of New York
City, who has won the award for the past two years, and Phyllis Heil of Hickory.
The Hall of Fame Award, the conventionâ??s highest honor, went to Barry Rector of
Coquitlam, British Columbia. The whistler who traveled the farthest to
compete was Tang Cheng-Dong from Dalian, China. People from 33 states and 12
foreign countries attended the convention, which is sponsored by the Franklin
County Arts Council.