[Harp-L] Successful retuning experiment

I've always been reluctant to stray away from the standard diatonic tuning, except for the one-reed alteration of Paddy Richter, but I took a look at Jean Sabot's website this morning http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jsabot/accueilan.htm (I thought I'd better - the great man is in Cornwall this week and I'm meeting him for a few tunes on Thursday...). I spent the next three hours retuning a G Lee Oskar to Jean's "Major tuning - Ionian mode" and I now have a "low D" harp that is superior in some ways for Irish tunes to a standard low D. Starting from the A note at the bottom end, the harp has two and a half full octaves in the key of D - no missing 6th note in the low octave, no missing 7th in the highest octave. There is simply nothing new to learn with regard to blow-draw patterns - the pattern is the same as with the standard tuning. I was playing tunes straight away with no problem whatsoever.

The only change I made to his recommendation was to substitute an F sharp for his hole 10 D, which is duplicated anyway. The big drawback to his retuning is that it's a lot of work, most reeds needing to be retuned by a tone or a semitone. When I needed to lower the pitch of the reeds I applied a small blob of Araldite Rapid (epoxy glue) to the free end which I filed to suit once it had hardened (I used my small rotary drill mostly). Made a few clumsy mistakes, but nothing irreversible - the glue scrapes off if needs be. Accidentally got the odd smear of glue where it shouldn't have gone once or twice as well, but though it came off OK it's definitely best to avoid this! My vision for close work is rubbish these days and I really ought to address this. The harp worked really well first time once I'd adjusted the fine-tuning, and I can see me doing the same to some low F plates to give me a low C harp.

I don't know whether a set of major diatonic G plates was the best selection for this exercise, but it's what I had lying around and I'm very pleased with the outcome.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm