Re: [Harp-L] SBW I revisited

I was going by the notes. I thought the harp player sounded like Rhythm Willie but I trusted authority. <g> Some of the other records with harp do sound like the SBW I I remember, although he sounds less stylized.

I'll have to add the top octave cuts to the Rhythm Willie compilation I like to give to harp players who think it all started with Little Walter.

martin oldsberg wrote:

Are you sure this is SBW I? Robert Nigthawk did some stuff with Rythm Willie -- know for his top octave fluency -- and I´ve seen these cuts attributed to other players several times (not to take anything from SBW, but I´ve never heard him play much in the top octave -- perhaps I´ve yet to learn?).

Cheers

Martin

I got a Robert Nighthawk cd a few months ago that contains his pre-war recordings. I've been listening to it again over the last few days. SBW I plays on a lot of the tracks. In reference to the recent thread on SBW I's technical skill, you might be surprised at what he does on some of the records. There's some top octave stuff that's really good. In general his playing is better than it was on a lot of his recordings as a leader.

A search on "Robert Lee McCoy" or "Robert Nighthawk" should turn it up. The cd I have is on the Wolf label, but I think there's at least one more.

--
Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly