	From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Chris Michalek
	Sent: Sun 4/24/2005 2:22 PM
	To: kingley@xxxxxxxxxx; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
	Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Shakin Smith

	Those are all very good points.  Personally, I generally don't like
	players that play a millions notes a minutes unless it's necessary.
	I don't like players that play outside the style of a given form of
	music.  I absolutely hate it when people play things just to play
	them ie: overblows.  Everything needs to be done within a musical
	context.

	I put a lot of stock into emotion and doing things right but in the
	case of Shakin Smith the first tune I listened to was AM blues

	http://www.shakinsmith.com/Shakin%20Smith%20-%20A.M.%20Blues.mp3

	All I heard was a guy doing HIS own thing to the point he didn't
	listen to the band. That's detriemental to the band and the music.
	Clearly, Shakin changed keys but the band didn't follow.  However,
	it's painful obvious that it's shakin that didn't follow because the
	entire band stayed on the I when shakin went to the IV.  This sounds
	terrible and shows a general lack of musicianship.  This is
	inexcusible especially when a tune is written by the player and
	further released to the public on a CD.

	Sure, he's got great tone and plays with feeling but he certainly is
	not breaking any new ground unless he's trying to re-write
	traditional blues forms which is counter to your point anyway.

	As we both agree, everything needs to be done within a musical
	context and to play "outside" is generally ok in Jazz, it's is NOT ok
	in traditional harmonica blues is largely out of musical context.