Re: [Harp-L] Throat Vibrato on Bent Notes

Before working on vibrato too much, make absolutely and positively sure you can control the 3 hole bend on a C harp perfectly. By that I mean that you should be able to bend very slowly the whole range of the 3 hole (at least one whole step). Make sure there are no frequency jumps or weak sounding spots, also make sure you have good fat and bright tone all the way down. Its typical that amateurs cannot do the one half step bend on the 3 hole. I highly suggest that you you get the Bendometer (free for a month) or use a tuner.

BTW, to get good tone on the 3 hole, you must open your throat wide and draw from the tummy. Took me several months of practice to get decent tone on the 3 hole.

BTW BTW to stabilize the Bb note which wants to go to A, practice vibrato just around the Bb, eventually your control of that notes will get better without the vibrato,

Lately I have been practicing doing vibrato by focusing on changing vowel sounds as in going from "o" to "ou" or "a" to "ou" or "a" to "e", lots of other sounds work too llike "ah". Experiment with this kind of shapings. I'm trying to do like Chris who apparently moves the tip of his tongue back and forth.

I thing the hardest thing, is to get a proper sine wave. Once you get a good slow sine wave, speed it up slowly but never go beyond the point where the sine wave starts turning into a square wave. That way you are learning the right thing, otherwise you end up practicing square vibrato which is not what you want. Practice with slow tunes as much as possible (amazing grace) that will allow you to calm down.

The other thing to practice is shallow and deep bends. For me deeper is easier, but quarter bends is what I want.

Happy woodshedding,

Pierre.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tony Renshaw" <tonyrenshaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>