Re: [Harp-L] Paparozzi joins the Chromatic for Diatonic Players Seminar

     I want to say thank you to my Chromatic Harmonica Teacher Robert
Bonfiglio for the kind words about my playing. It means alot coming from
someone I truly consider a Master of the Instrument. I'm also honored to be
asked to adjunct teach at his upcoming seminar this August (a week before
SPAH). Since our Teacher-Student relationship, we've become good friends
and I look forward to joining him in the country w/ some fellow Harmonica
Junkies for some study and fun!

     I've been on Harp-l for quite some time, so many of you already know me,
some are old friends or students...so I won't go to deep into my background
but I wanted to respond to Bonfiglio's announcement w/ this post to let the list
know a bit of what I will cover in my segment of this event.

   I started my formal Chromatic studies after hearing Robert perform in
Cham Ber Huang's Chamber Harmonica Group at an outdoor event in NYC in the
70's. I signed up for Cham Ber's one week intensive seminar at The Turtle
Bay Music School in New York City, after this class I thirsted for more
"coaching" on the Chromatic to get my reading together and to become a
better musician. I studied privately with Bonfiglio and because of the tools
he provided I gained the confidence to play ANY style I wanted on the
Chromatic. Later, I was able to take much of this theory and technique over
to the Diatonic.

    I taught myself Guitar and Piano and starting fronting bands in 1966 in
Jr. High Singing and playing Diatonic Harp. I was enthralled by the sound of
Harmonica coming over the air waves of AM radio in the 60's:
the records that really jumped out at me were Dylan, Beatles and Stevie's
Motown songs with Harmonica.

    My older Brother was a 60's Hippie and left a Marine on the shelf in the den,
I asked him if I could mess around with it.....the rest is history,-)

   Since I started on the Harmonica the way MOST of us did, I had to use self instruction
as a BIG part of my Learning experience, but when I reached out for help,
I went to the best players I could find that were willing to SHARE the knowledge.
The three that SHARED and helped me most, Magic Dick (one lesson),
Toots (several Phone Lessons) and Robert Bonfiglio (Private Study).
As a Harmonica Student, I needed someone that could answer all these questions
about embouchure, scales, and execution of music on this instrument.

    Without the superior teaching tools that Bonfiglio provided, I could never have attempted
some of the Studio endeavours, Broadway Shows, Artist Sessions that I've done.
My only expertise before this was as a Showman, Entertainer....but I needed more 'ammo'
under my belt if I wanted to hang with the 'big boys' in NYC in a variety of Musical settings.
In more recent years, I took over for Bonfiglio at Turtle Bay School then passed that on to
Dennis Gruenling who did a great job there and has gone on to private teaching.

    Now, with the advent of all these great summits, workshops, Harp-l and assorted get togethers,
the best learning is done from EACH OTHER.....I love it!

    I'll post more in the next month about what I have in mind for my class, but MOST of that
will be coming from the private emails and feedback I get from everyone that's coming
so I'll concentrate more on what is useful for YOUR current situtaion etc. etc..
Please feel free to contac me off list at:
chromboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
so we can discuss your needs.

    My Forte is the combination and utilization of BOTH axes Diatonic & Chromatic to attain one
goal...better Musicianship. You can then take these tools to your gigs, to your Blues Jams or 'whatever'
type bands, your sessions, SPAH or even Carnegie Hall,-))) see some of you there in August!

Looking forward & all the best,
Rob Paparozzi

PS... please contac Robert Bonfiglio at:
bon@xxxxxxxxxx
for all the sign-up details & info