Re: [Harp-L] Jason Ricci in the FL Keys

You hit on a point that I think many of us can relate to when we try to
encourage non harp geeks to check out Jason.  He's not just an amazing
player, he's different and amazing - that plus it's a fun, high-energy
show with a variety of music styles.  Trouble is, you say to to a non
harper, and especially not a hard core Blues fan,  "hey, you gotta check
out this harmonica player," and it's a tough sell. This is especially
true when you can't point out a single 3 minute pop tune or power
ballad. I think the shortest song he does is about 5-6 minutes long...on
a short night.  So how do we, as someone has already mentioned here,
help Jason get the fame and riches he deserves so he doesn't completely
burn out from  working 300 days a year, and get the rest of us
mixolydiots laid more often as well? I dunno. My guess would be to
approach the jam-band crowd after the blues fans. Archive.org has
already started this somewhat, but jam banders have always been
attracted to virtuostic improvisation and experimental, genre-bending
playing and songwriting. They've already welcomed folks like Popper,
Warren Haynes, Robert Randolph, Derek Trucks - artists that weren't in
the "Dead" vein, but were greatly appreciated for their musicianship,
and now sell out large arenas. Get Jason to Bonaroo or something, and
they'd crap themselves, and watch the tapers come flocking. I also kinda
wonder why he doesn't play to the college crowd more (schools might even
pay better than clubs, and they'll usually put you up in a room as part
of the deal.)

Anyway, It's late, I'm rambling, and I know it's becoming taboo to
Ricci-gush on this list....but we all benefit from every person who can
be convinced that a harmonica is not a children's toy.......( a common
argument I have with my wife....)

 - Blake

>>> <Windsaver@xxxxxxx> 04/21/05 7:53 PM >>>
I too attended the show in Key West.  Excellent playing all around.  I
concur
that Jason has a harp style that is clearly in the blues vein of
harmonica,
but he adds a judicious amount of overblows and such to expand the
melody
components.  The best thing about seeing Jason play live is that people
in the
audience realize that his harp playing is "different" than typical harp
players
adn they connect with it.  Bottom line is that the show was high-energy
and
never boring.  Always a difficult thing to do in the blues (i.e. blues
garage
bands tend to bore me out the door!).  Anyhow, I hope he comes back to
Key West on
a regular basis!

Now I know I am not the only Harp-L member in the Keys anymore!