[Harp-L] Big Walter/ Ernie Morris

Greetings fellow-L'ers,

Like everyone else, I've always been a huge fan of Big Walter -- tone personified. One of my favorite of his tunes is "In The Mood," which has been talked about at length in previous posts going back a few years. Even though Horton technically may not have played the correct melody on it, his improvisations are brilliant...

In addition to his harp skills, Horton is also remembered as, shall we say, a "teller of tall tales." <g> One of his frequent claims was that he had been the only black member of the Harmonica Rascals in the 1930's.

Of course the black member of the Rascals was Ernie Morris, who IMHO is perhaps the most underappreciated harmonica player of the last century. Talk about tone! About Morris, Jerry Adler once said, "When he played the blues he put Sonny Terry and everyone to shame."

Trouble is, Ernie Morris never recorded as a soloist -- or so I had thought. But I just accidentally stumbled onto a CD that includes one song he did for an Armed Forces broadcast during WW II. The CD is called "Let's Have a Ball Tonight -Pioneers of Rhythm & Blues." (Natasha Records -UK.) A strange compilation, it's all non-commercially-released radio broadcasts by black artists, from 1943 to 1952. The Morris tune comes from a show called AFRS Jubilee, recorded live in front of a L.A. audience and broadcast nationally in January of '43.

So what song did Morris play? You guessed it -- "In The Mood." And it's amazing, if much too short. Morris plays it in Bb on a chrom, and works in quotes from "St. Louis Blues" before modulating up to B natural. On the final note, he simultaneously 'sings' through the harp whilst playing the note, ala George 'Bullet' Williams. My only complaint is that they only gave Ernie one song to do...

But it certainly makes one speculate about the possible influence of Morris in the evolution of Horton's playing. On Horton's earliest recordings with Little Buddy Doyle, the bell-like tone is not yet fully formed. Later, after Morris' only solo recording, Horton's tone blossoms, and he also covers "In The Mood."

Coincidence? <shrug> I suppose we'll never know?

In any event if you can find this CD, by all means pick it up. I think it may be out-of-print, but well worth looking for. The Morris recording alone is by far worth the price of admission.

later,

TBall
Santa Babs
Tom Ball & Kenny Sultan