Re: RE: [Harp-L] re: Improv in Blues

Mike Fugazzi wrote:
>>What are some approaches that you've taken to improv
>>that have taken you away from repeating phrases during
>>a gig?

Chris Michalek replied:
> Stop listening to other harmonica players.
> Stop listening to Blues

Unlike Chris' other suggestion, this is NOT a Joe Filisko exercise.
Joe preaches studying the great blues harmonica players.  I think he
is making the assumption that this is what a player hopes to achieve.

I like Chris' approach better, however.  I think a great example of
this in a blues context is Dennis Gruenling, who has fabulous phrasing
and very hornlike lines, despite a more traditional (than Chris, at any
rate) style of music.

Chris went on:
> There's nothing wrong with repeating phrases.

I think this is good advice, too.  In fact, a lot of Dave Barrett's
masterclass curriculum is developed around the idea of finding a short
phrase or riff and repeating it throughout a chorus of a solo.  The
idea is that you build an expectation in the listener, so that when you
do deviate from the repetition it sticks out even more.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/