RE: [Harp-L] re: Improv in Blues

Stop listening to other harmonica players.
Stop listening to Blues

Start listening to vocalists ie Kurt Elling, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
and Ella Fitzgerald

There's nothing wrong with playing the same solo in every song, Jason
Ricci does it, Carlos del Junco does it.  It's very hard to play new
stuff in every solo in every song.

For blues, trying playing your harp with nothing more than draw holes
from 1-5 for an entire song. <-- this is a joe filisko exercise.

There's nothing wrong with repeating phrases.  Heck try repeating it
50 times in a solo.  The crowd will go crazy!

The biggest and hardest thing to learn is to stop thinking when you
are playing. Listen with big ears.  For example, I was playing last
sunday and during my solo there were a bunch of bikers in the area
reving up their harleys.  The Vroooom Vrooom got added into my solo.
I wasn't aware that I was mimicing the bike until somebody pointed it
out later.