[Harp-L] Musical lines vs ???

What exactly is a musical line?  I have my thoughts on
the subject, but is there an exact answer?

What roles do "riffs" and scales/scale patterns play
in musical lines?

I was practicing last night and was thinking that if I
played a solo based off of the blues scale and
patterns off of the blues scale that if somebody
tabbed it out it could be broken into riffs, although
I woundn't call it riffing.

What makes the line musical, and what would be an
example of a line played that isn't musical?

I feel that maybe playing musical lines has to do with
following changes in a song.  For example, not playing
three draw unbent in cross on the IV chord.  Or maybe
playing a 4 overblow on the IV that wouldn't be played
on the I chord.

Mike

Mike Fugazzi
Harmonica/Vocals