Re: [Harp-L] Dentures

Hello G,

You're pretty much right--if I had a chance to have all my own _healthy_
natural teeth, I'd go for it in a minute--but, as I wrote in my
article, there's a often set of diminishing returns when it comes to ever
expanding partials and persistent gum disease (and gum disease is
_not_ an easy fix). Plus, I always say to ask your dentist about the
_long-term_ prognosis of your situation, and I suggest making your
decision with that knowledge.

Specifically, I would _never_ recommend avoiding needed dental work
(or dentures) because of fear of how it will affect your playing.
That's what I did--delayed and delayed due to an article I read that
stated simply that one could not play with dentures. I went through a
lot of pain and dollars before I found out that was normally just not
the case. Not being able to play after dentures is extremely rare and
your dentist would likely be able to tell you if you would be in that
samll group of unfortunates.

Posts are a terrific option, you're also correct. If you have the $$$
I'd say go for it. It's not the dentures that cause any
hassle, really...it's any _movement_ of the dentures while your
playing that causes the problems.

Ron

G> Hi Manish,
G>   Yes.  The trick is in finding a decent denture glue.  Another way is to
G> have posts installed into your jaw.   Every denture wearer I've met says
G> keeping your original teeth is preferable.

G> -- G.

G> Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:01:58 -0700
G> From: "mbee42@xxxxxxxxx" <mbee42@xxxxxxxxx>
G> Subject: [Harp-L] Dentures
G> To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

>> Hey,
>> Just out of curiosity, is it possible to continue playing the
>> harmonica if my teeth fall out and I need to wear dentures?
>> Thanks,
>> Manish

Ron                          mailto:rdg@xxxxxxxxxxx

"Wars are seldom caused by spontaneous hatreds between peoples, for
peoples in general are too ignorant of one another to have grievances and
too indifferent to what goes on beyond their borders to plan conquests.
They must be urged to slaughter by politicians who know how to alarm
them." ["Its State Today," Treatise on Right and Wrong, 1934] H.L.
Mencken]

"Taking care of business is _cool_ where we live."
Bono

"We didn't speak to each other. That's how everything falls apart, isn't it."
Haircut 100 singer, Nick Hayward, commenting on his band's breakup.