Re: [Harp-L] Re: The 'Flexible Gospel'...now Melodic lines vs. Tone

Not that I am a stud or anything, but I really like
Ice's post.

I spend a lot of time on content and less time on
tone.  Not that one should have bad tone.  I think
there are a lot of contemporarty guys who have good
tone, but are focused on other aspects of the music.
Then there are some more traditional players who are
all tone and have less interest in melodic content.

The players who impress me the most, are those who
concentrate on melodic content and the direction they
are going.  This has been much harder for me to learn,
but more rewarding when I get it right.

Mike

> --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
> icemanle@xxxx wrote:
>
> Oops, not intending to take out of context. I was
> just responding to
> the discussion fat/thin, TB/pucker.
> I don't believe Howard "thinks" amplified tone - fat
> - in his
> preconceived inner ear. He probably is more
> concerned with melodic line.
> I'm also more interested in developing linear ideas
> than tone. When I
> do focus completely on fat amplified, I get a pretty
> good sound, but
> it limits my melodic ideas.
> I will actually think and play differently depending
> on which
> direction I want to take the harmonica.
>
> The Iceman
> --- End forwarded message ---