Re: Fwd: [Harp-L] Accoustic Vs Amplified tone. was Re: The 'Flexible Gospel' accord

I've been playing harp for a little over two years
now.  Mostly, I play at home acoustically.  I do play
in a band and as we add music I play more and more
amplified harmonica.

My observation with both trying to tongue and lip
block is that my tone can easily vary depending on the
setting.

I feel my "acoustic chops" are coming along very well.
   Good air support, relaxed, open jaw, etc.  I've
even had compliments from several accomplished
players.  However, I have always been displeased with
my amplified tone.

I have discovered that gear does make a difference.
Cupping a mic has been the number one reason why I
feel my amped tone "suffers".  Holding a mic makes
playing more uncomfortable and changes the way the
harp is placed in my mouth.  Trying to cup a harp has
caused my hands to take up more of the harp's surface
area and has forced the harp to sit shallower in my
mouth.  This has affected air flow and the position of
my jaw.

The number two problem has been with eqing an amp or
my amp/mic choice.  I have a recroding of my playing
through an amp that isn't a harp amp and that I had at
pretty worthless eq settings with a non traditional
mic.  Using my computer I adjusted the eq and went
from sounding weak and trebley to fat and bassy.

I have since switched amps, and although don't have
any examples of it being recorded, know it sounds
better.  The amp/mic combo can have a large impact if
it truly is a bad combo.

In order to remedy my tone "problem", not only have I
been practicing harder on tone, but I hae also tried
an array of mics.  I have found the SM 57 easiest for
me to hold without negatively impacting my playing.
Now I almost always have one handy to hold as I
practice regardless of whether I am using an amp or
not.  In just a couple of weeks, I have noticed an
improvement in tone.

Of course, if I don't pay attention to my body,
regardless of how or what I am playing, I'll sound
crumby.

Mike

> --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Pierre
> <plavio@xxxx> wrote:
> Chris,
>
> If what you said is true, then it means that those
> guys with 'weak' tone
> have learned to work the amp.
>
> This is contrary to popular mythology by the way.
>
> Pierre.

Mike Fugazzi
Harmonica/Vocals
http://www.niterail.com