Re: [Harp-L] My Name Is Rooty and I Am a Harmonica Owner

My Name Is Rooty and I Am a Harmonica Owner. I bought a harmonica today.

Yeah!

Since its a bit of a trick to learn to play single holes at first, try Clementine as chords as it sounds pretty good. Oh Susanah is pretty good too. Both can be started on 4 blow. Actually most folk tunes can be played from there on a C harp. It takes about ten hours to play single holes decently, not a big deal if you stick to it. Don't worry too much about small mistakes, they eventually go away.

Learn the major scale that starts on 4 blow. Most folk tunes are derived from that scale. Once you can play that, you can find many tunes you can think of.

Major scale: 4b 4d 5b 5d 6b 6d (reverse the blow draw pattern from here on end) 7d 7b

Its a good idea to play chords and single notes all the way through otherwise you'll become half a harp player ;-). Once you can play single holes pretty well, you can learn bends.

Don't blow and suck, breathe thru the harp. While you try learning to bend, why not learn TB (or pucker), gives you something to do while your waiting for your first bend to pop out.

Canadian eh? Where you from? I'm from Montreal.

Pierre.