From: "Gary Bohannon" <beauxart2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 9:24 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Another Gear Orbit..which 4x10?

I just got a Sonny Jr. 4x10 the other day.  I've had the chance to play out
with it once and the tone flat out floored me.  The amp's a thing of beauty
from a visual standpoint... Sonny hand rubs the stain on the tweed and then
has it sealed, all in all it a labor of love to do this.  So, for visuals
it's a "10".

Build quality:  The amp I have is a special one built by Sonny to recreate a
"New Old Stock" Bassman.  '59 trannys, hand picked Astron tone caps,
mil.-spec NOS pots, handpicked NOS '59 P10R's, NOS mil.-spec tube sockets
and so much more stuff I can't begin to list it all.  Ok... you gotta put
all this stuff together so it works, right?  Every solder joint is clean,
shines like a mirror and has the perfect amount of solder.  The lead dress
for the wiring is neat and tidy... perfectly routed for no talkback or
occilation at high volume.  Best workmanship I've ever seen.

Tone:  now the fun part starts happening.  I fired up the amp, let it warm
up awhile and took it off standby.  No noises other than the usual hiss when
everything was dimed.  I've owned a LOT of Bassmans over the last 3 decades
and currently own two nice '59's.  This amp killed 'em tone wise... no
questions at all!  I had a friend come over to check it out, just to make
sure I wasn't hearing things, and he was speachless... totally slack jawed
HUGE, fat, resonant bottom end; mids that are stuffed with overtones and the
sweetest high end I've ever heard.  And all this considering it was biased
just the way I like 'em... a tiny tick on the cold side.  I could nudge the
bias up (it has a bias pot) a notch and the Tung-Sol 5881's will really
start to sing.

Granted, my amp is a one-off amp that probably won't be done again... it
took Sonny a long time to get everything together for this... but build
quality is build quality and this amp has it in spades.  I can't imagine
something better than this... couldn't even dream of it!

Gary B.
Nashville, TN