Re: [Harp-L] Hello and introduction

----- Original Message ----- From: "MLeFree" <mlefree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 9:24 AM
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Hello and introduction

Hey, Vern -
While I see your point, I wouldn't restrict the benefits of being melodic
(viz, a singer, or in my case a whistler) only to the chrom' player.

I didn't propose "resticting" anyone.

For
example, akin to what to Mojo and Mike were talking about, I find that
playing songs for which I ~know~ the tune by heart in various positions on a
diatonic to be some of the best exercises I know of. For me, playing scales
really didn't help me learn to nail specific bends (e.g., 3D' vs. 3D'' vs.
3D''') as well as playing songs in which I ~knew~ in my bones what the bent
note should sound like 'cuz I'd heard and/or whistled a tune dozens, even
hundreds of times. Familiar folk, campfire, and even kid's songs that
everyone knows played thusly make for great diatonic practice fodder, IMO.

Yes...but you are not a beginner and you have already decided that you wish to play the diatonic. Any beginner might start on either harp and later switch, or even better, learn both. However what we are talking about here is the choice that will most likely motivate the BEGINNER to continue with the harmonica...either diatonic or chromatic.

Vern
Visit my harmonica website: http://www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com