RE: [Harp-L] Trouble With Timing

camposs@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>  I seem to have trouble with my timing when playing along with a
> backing track or guitarist. Anybody have any good excercises to help
> me get better timing?

Stiv, you have gotten some good advice so far.  I'd add this simple advice:
tap your foot.  Make your body "feel the rhythm" by automatically tapping
your foot whenever you hear a tune.  Any tune, whether you are playing or
just listening.  Play a lot of "air drum."  Learn to pick out the downbeat
and upbeat of any song you hear, always tapping your foot (or feet; you can
alternate feet if the beat gets fast).  Learn to pat your hands on your legs
just ahead of and just behind the beat as you tap your feet.  Practice
clapping your hands on the off-beat, not the down-beat, especially when
everyone else is clapping on the down beat (sounds cool, too).  When you
start playing a song, tap the beat out with your foot for a bar or two
before you hit the first note.  As you play step down left, right, left,
right with the beat (ever see Kim Wilson play?).  Before too long, your foot
will become that metronome Chris was talking about.

Michelle