Re: [Harp-L] Trouble With Timing

Bob Maglinte wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Michalek" <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <camposs@xxxxxxxxx>; <Harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 10:53 AM
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Trouble With Timing

Get a metronome. Practice single notes and then double those notes and triple and quadruple the time over those metronome hits. Then use the metronome strike as the upbeat and repeat. Then start playing scales and arpeggios.

Try to think like a bass player rather than a melody instrument.

I listen to more rhythm players these days then melodic players.  In
fact there are few melodic players on any instrumet that I find
particularily interesting. Tabla, djembe, bodran, doubek, riq are my
best friends of late. Aside from Mr Peloquin, Mr Ricci and Mr Brooks
if you're nasty! Even Rosco too...

Your best players on any instrument are great rhythm players.

Get your groove on!!

Hi,
Good suggestions here and harmonica players too often are NOTORIOUS for having really horrible time (another reason why most harmonica players are held in such low regard as musicians). Learning rhythm and time are EXTREMELY IMPORTANT aspects to learn that will make you a much better musician, and once you get the hang of that concept, everything you play will make more sense. Too many beginning players want to riff their brains out right away and get frustrated because one of the very FIRST things they don't bother to learn is time, and I cannot stress the importance of that enough.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com
MP3's: http://music.mp3lizard.com/barbequebob/

At the risk of it sounding like a me too post...

Rhythm is a good thing to learn. If you can play something simple that is in the pocket it sounds great. If you play something complicated that is out of time it sounds horrible regardless of how technically amazing it is.

On riffing--improvising on the melody is a darned good thing. There's no point in riffing until you understand the chord changes and can overlay rhythmic patterns on them. Aside from that, improvising on the melody is a darned good thing.

-- Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly