[Harp-L] overblow-tongueblock combination

I wrote that overblowing from a tongue block is a rare and esoteric technique. My aim in pointing this out was not to discourage people from trying. My aim was to explain why Ludo Beckers was not receiving the advice he had hoped for from the List and to advise that he seek out Joe Filisko, one of the few people in the world (that I am aware of) who can do this proficiently and who has advanced pedagogical skills.

Richard Lister responded:

>Noooo! :-)

>At the risk of repeating myself, I'm a terrible harp player and
>I can do it. It's not harder, just different.

But I never said it was harder. Is it rare? I know quite a few people who can overblow proficiently but only a very small handfull who can do it from a tongue block. Is it esoteric? My dictionary defines "esoteric" as meaning known by a restricted number or confined to a small group.

Perhaps, through the efforts of Ric, Ludo, and others, the technique will move more into the mainstream, but as things are now, I stand by my words.

George