RE: [Harp-L] RE: Gig Attire

I haven't read all of the posts on this thread, so forgive me if I'm
redundant....but gig attire has always been a struggle for me...

As a 34 year old tall white dude with a Masters' from Tufts, my Blues
street cred is a bit lacking. I realize gotta play this down somehow.
But I also can't help but roll my eyes at guys in a similar predicament
who try to do the whole sunglasses / pork pie hat thing (Sho' nuff, I
got de Blues, y'all). It almost comes across as modern day minstrelry -
using a "look"/stereotype to try to, as Richard Wright might say, "play
Black" or to promote a false image for entertainment's sake.

But, as has been well said here, image means a great deal. I don't have
any good answers. Frankly I'm just not cool enough to get away with a
hat on stage. I, too, either err on the overdressed side, or just wear
something "fun." It may not always be "Bluesy," but it's closer to
real.....this also comes as I'm using my "true" voice more on vocals
these days and am employing less of a fake growl. I try to concentrate
instead on singing....um.....well. Evolving ain't easy.....

 - Blake

>>> "Bobby " BlackHat" Walters" <bobby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 04/12/05 7:58
PM >>>
I agree with the Iceman.  It's always a good plan to dress a little
above
your audience.  Better to give the impression of being a little
overdressed
than being slobs.  Slobs don't get asked back very often unless they are
absolutely phenomenal musicians.  Remember, every gig is a potential
audition for your next new gig.  Our band went as far as everyone
wearing
the exact same thing.  Gave us kind of a retro look and the owner really
liked it.

Personally, I like to wear black or I can go to the other extreme with
something wild and loud.  I just bought a "Dogs Playing Poker" shirt at
Walmart for $13 that was an absolute hit at our last gig.  And of
course, I
ALWAYS wear my black hat...hence my stagename Bobby BlackHat.

Keep on jammin

BlackHat
http://bobbyblackhat.com
http://blackroseblues.com