RE: [Harp-L] RE: Gig Attire

I purposely don't wear black slacks, a white shirt and black tie for gigs so that I am not mistaken for the bartender, usher, or waiter on my break. Iceman's look suggestion sounds a bit 20th cetury ganster to me. Nice though. Good point about better dress equaling better paying gigs.. I do admit. However, there is always a point of diminishing return.

I also would be wary of wearing a neon colored suit for the moths, and otherwise, it might attract. =)

Since I live in Austin, Texas, it has come to my attention that many good people here put very little emphasis on what they wear - and more on HOW they wear it. I have several authentic vintage bowling shirts, but I seriously do not want to wear them to gigs because nowadays, they are very cliché. If I were to wear an atypical harmonica player's togs, I would certainly have to act-up the part more than I care to. I probably just hate costumes.

Perhaps, your own region dictates what you need to wear on stage? my whole town seems to be ready for casual Friday... every day.

For me, no matter, it's still all about the music. Thankfully, I am not *required* to ever dress a certain way - but I am respectful enough to not appear to look like a bum. I am no longer youthful enough to carry the bum look off very well.

As for the guitar player that did not "dress out" for the gig - he just ain't a team player.
That seems very obvious to most of us on this thread.
If my gig brethren asked that everyone should wear a polka dotted penguin suit, I would of course do so.
That would just be gravy actually. heh.