RE: [Harp-L] Hello and Introduction

Well, they're both diatonic 10-hole harps, but the GM is tuned to equal temperament whereas the SP20 is tuned to an intermediate tuning somewhere between equal and Just intonation. You can get the SP20 in low keys such as low D, very useful for Irish. They are different shapes, which is no big deal really, just a matter of taste. SP20s are lovely and comfortable to play. Overblowers may have opinions about the two harps that I'm not qualified to wade in on.

Please explain the terms "equal" and "Just intonation" and "overblowing."

"Equal temperament" and "Just intonation" are different ways of FINE-tuning fixed-pitch instruments such as harmonicas. If you want all the theory and the exact frequencies of the notes in each tuning system you can't do any better than check out Pat Missin's website, specifically the link "Altered States." http://www.patmissin.com/tunings/tunings.html Equal temperament tuning makes all individual notes sound "sort of" in tune with each other whatever key the music is in, but it makes chords sound a bit rough. A lot of people (not all) who play predominantly single-note melodies, me included, prefer this tuning. Just intonation is based on the natural harmonies of notes when sounded together - chords sound much sweeter, but to some ears some of the individual pitches sound slightly out of tune when played in single-note melodies. Some harmonicas are tuned to an in-between tuning, e.g. the SP20, in an attempt to reach a compromise. Lee Oskars, Hohner Golden Melodies and Suzuki harps are tuned to Equal temperament, as (I think) chromatics are. Off the top of my head I can only think of the Hering Vintage harp that is currently tuned to Just intonation, though in the past this tuning was used much more. I don't choose my harps for their fine-tunings: I buy what I like then change them to Equal temperament straight away.

Overblowing (as opposed to bending) is a technique for getting notes on a diatonic harp that "aren't there" with normal blowing and drawing. Someone help me......

That is indeed impressive. Would that be the present-day line-up but with the late and much-lamented Derek Bell?

It would be Old School Chieftains and my favourite story concerns Mr. Bell. As you must know, Derek was a relatively small man, who lugged a relatively large [stringed] harp. When the harp was in its carrying case, it was that much larger and that much more unwieldy. The first day of the tour, as Derek is struggling to get his harp onto the bus, I leaned down and grabbed the other end of the harp to give him a hand. He VERY politely asked me to put the end back down and then declined all help. It was his contention that if anything bad were to happen to the harp, he would be the only one to blame if he were the only one to touch the harp. He never allowed anyone else to move his harp, put it in its carrying case, or help him cart it from one place to another. My enduring memory is of Derek struggling to carry his harp, all by himself, every where we went.

That's a great story. It's a mark of the man's greatness that he's still regarded with so much affection. We'd better not get too sidetracked with strung harps though ;-)

Steve