[Harp-L] Bassman RI Ltd, revisited

I posted several weeks ago about the Bassman RI Ltd
and how I was underwhelmed by it.  That being said, I
spent weeks playing around with it and took it to its
first gig this Friday.

It sounded perfect.

Never had I gigged and felt so good about my amplified
sound.  This was part amp, and part some woodshedding
over the last couple of weeks.

For gear I used the Bassman with an SM 57 with a
transformer, a Boss OC 2 as a preamp, and I kept the
amp stock except for switching the first preamp tube
with a 12ay7.

I had the amp turned to 5 with zero feedback during
the sound check and was asked kindly to turn down.  I
played at 3 the whole night.

In terms of the amps sound, what helped the most was
finding my volume first and THEN adjusting the tone
rather then doing it all at once.  As I turn up
louder, I use less and less of the tone controls.  The
Boss pedal was used as a preamp and distorted earlier
then the amp (also, I had better bass response).  Had
I stayed on 5 I wouldn't have used it, but it gave me
just enough break up at a lower volume (Thanks Jason
Ricci).

The sound was thick and distorted, but not too
distorted.  Absolutely what I wanted from the amp.

The OC2 is the only pedal I have, and worked better as
a preamp then my Harp Commander which was a headache
and feedback monster with this amp.  I still love it
when I use it with a PA.

Mike

Mike Fugazzi
Harmonica/Vocals