Re: [Harp-L] Fender DeVille as a harp amp

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Brown" <eric_brown1998@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Harp Talk" <harptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Harp-L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2005 11:52 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Fender DeVille as a harp amp

I play in a blues band and normally play through a
Silvertone 1482 or Bassman 59 re-issue amp.

We hosted a blues jam today and found myself playing
through the band's guitar players new Fender DeVille
amp. I had never played through this amp, but thought
the sound was great, really cutting through the mix,
knowing full well the feeling of a 4x10 speaker
combination. The breakup felt good and I was
comfortable with the tone. He is bringing the amp to
our rehearsal this week for me to play around with.

My post is to get other harpers opinions and
experiences with this amp. I have a Blues Junior that
I may use as a deposit if I decide to buy one.

Thanks,

Eric in L.A.

Eric Brown
Office:   (818) 222-3803
Home:     (818) 222-6323
Cell:     (818) 439-8285
FAX:      (818) 224-4248
email:    eric_brown1998@xxxxxxxxx

Hi Eric,
I've played through one and personally, the older tweed versions that used the same blue painted alnico magnet speakers until the mid 90's are the best versions of this amp for harp (fewer drive controls, meaning a simpler circuit), and is an offshoot of the Bassman, but when A/B'd by me at a friend's basement (it was his amp and totally stock) against the Bassman RI's of the same year, to my ears, it sounded more like a real Bassman than the reissues did at the time. In the used amp market, these are actually going for far less money than an older Bassman reissue presently goes for, and IMO, are a better bang for the buck than a Bassman RI of the same vintage (we're talking 1995 an earlier here).

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com