Fw: [Harp-L] Fireball

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Polesky" <m.polesky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 04/06/2005 1:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Fireball

Hey guys!

I know I have been quiet for a long time, but I have to rave about this new
Fireball mic from Audix. I can't give you the fullest report right now.
However, I can tell you I tried it out with a couple of other harp players
and I immediately ordered one up from the place Ben Nathanson suggested for
a great price. The minute I played on one of these I knew I had to have
one.

WHAT I LOVE ABOUT IT
This microphone probably won't feed back. I was using my own MusicMan
amplifier to test it, but I was not at the controls. While I was standing
right next to the speaker the guys set the controls for volume, gain, treble
and mid well beyond where I feed back with any other microphone. My bass
was already at 10! I would have been to scared to test this beastie at
those levels. The microphone I've been using for the last few years just
won't handle that. The microphone is also very quiet, so it doesn't make
noise if you shift it while playing.

The response range on this microphone is unbelievable - particularly in the
lower end. The response range is very important to me. I don't get the
response I need in the lower end of an SM-57 or SM-58 at all. I sound
horrible through them. The Fireball handles everything from the very bottom
to the very top end of a 64 chromatic. We tried it on both ends and it just
sounds great. The results on both diatonics and chromatics were just
thrilling. Every note sounded strong, clean and the tone was good.

The microphone is extremely versatile. We got some very smooth sounds out
of the chromatics and some real honking sounds out of the diatonics. I also
wouldn't be suprised if this microphone worked out very nicely for vocals.
In any event, this microphone can probably be used for all diatonics and
chromatics as well as a variety of other horns. Rather than a Sure I would
prefer to have this mic around for those occasions when I have a variety of
instruments to amplify.

Im glad I am getting one!

Michael