Re: [Harp-L] Re: a question for all you toungue blockers outthere...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Paparozzi" <chromboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Bob Maglinte" <bbqbob917@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 3:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: a question for all you toungue blockers outthere...

Very Nice Post Bob and I totally agree...

Tightening up a the worse thing you can do!

I've copped a great exercise from my vocal techniques that transits over very well to my Harmonica Technique....

Before I play do about 10 Minutes of scales vocally, the key here is to Stick out your TONGUE as far as you can and then run the scales, don't sing loud as the point here is to strengthen the glottal opening in the back of your throat.

This will do WONDERS for your tone on both Diatonic and Chromatic.....

If you happen to be a singer, this will save you MANY a HOARSE throats the day after!

Be sure to WARM DOWN as well, you don't have to vocalize as much on the warm down, just out the tongue and do some syllables etc......

Be careful tho, I do this in my car and eventually, someone at a red light is gonna call me in as a perverted whacko...!!!! this doesn't look pretty... but it wotks!!!,-))))

Happy tonguing!!!!!!!!!!!!,-))
best, rob

Hi Rob,
Thanks double on this because you've explained in a nutshell why I recommend that ALL harp players go to a reputable vocal coach just for the breathing exercises alone, and I can personally attest to its benefits and will also greatly improve one's acoustic tone and chops, doing far more improvement this way than all the gear anyone will ever buy in their lifetime. Not once have I ever regretted going to a vocal coach because before they do ANYTHING, they ALWAYS check your breathing habits, and the vast majority of people often have very poor breathing habits and almost NEVER use their diaphragm, which is important for proper breath support for both vocals as well as harmonica.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com