Re: [Harp-L] a question for all you toungue blockers out there...

Single note embouchure seems to be the best way to begin learning the harmonica - single notes, bends, movement and trills, etc.

With a general understanding and ability to play single notes, a bend, a trill, I will then encourage students to begin using the tongue down (TB, tongue-switching, etc).

Instead of presenting it as one or the other, it is offered as a parallel endeavor. For example, once the student can play the major diatonic scale from holes 4 - 7 with clean single notes pucker style, I introduce the tongue down. From then on, I encourage everything to be learned (or at least attempted) in both styles.

btw, tongue down would include playing out of the left side as well as the right.

Many very young beginning players that I've worked with in this respect have quickly become relaxed with all these techniques and, instead of thinking "either/or", consider it all part of learning to master the instrument.

The Iceman