Re: [Harp-L] Dry mouth on fast tunes - remedies?

The problem with dry mouth on fiddle tunes is a natural consequence of their
structure. They often cover a wide range of the instrument, and because of
the rapid notes and rare pauses, a players lips will spend more time
dragging against the metal covers than with most other music styles. Hence
the dry mouth. To avoid this, I do the following:

1)       Run my lips across the entire instrument immediately before playing

2)       Keep a bottle of water handy at all times, and take a drink between
each tune

3)       As James Conway suggests, re-hydrate the covers during pauses in
the tune

The problem becomes worse when playing outside on windy days, as the wind
removes the moisture that your lips have placed on the instrument. Also
Hohner Pro cover plates (the black ones) remove more moisture than Lee Oskar
or Special 20 plates. Also, when cover plates become old, they require more
moisture, and by offering greater friction, make it harder to play swiftly.

I'm not so sure about gum, lollies etc. The problem is not a lack of
moisture in the mouth, but rather a lack of moisture in the cover plates. As
I mentioned, drinking water between tunes should provide enough mositure in
the mouth. The challenge is to get it on to the instrument when needed.

Tony Eyers

Australia

http://www.harmonicatunes.com