[Harp-L] RE: George Smith/Rod Piazza Duet

Hi -

Rod & George did play a lot together, especially
during the Bacon Fat years (late 60's-early 70's), but
there are not many recorded examples of them playing
together. One example would be from the "Chicago
Flying Saucer Band" record (now on CD after many years
of obscurity), which has George playing some chromatic
harp on the intro and an awesome solo at the end, only
to have Rod take over for the last chorus on harp.
Also, you hear "Lightnin'" Rod backing up George on a
couple cuts from George's "...Of The Blues" record.

Most likely though, you heard "Astatic Stomp". As Bob
described, "Astatic Stomp" is from the
originally-titled "Boogie'n With George" Murray
Brothers LP...now re-issued on the Blind Pig CD "Now
You Can Talk About Me". It's a great tune. Though I
describe the layout of the tune below, Rod has a
"darker" tone, and George's amplified sound here is a
bit more "hollow".

Rod starts it off with two choruses. George comes next
with 2 choruses of his own. After this, Rod plays two
more and George follows him, but this time George is
just playing a sliding riff, with Rod doing short
fills in between.

After this chorus, George plays one, with Rod doing a
few small fills. Next chorus finds George really
blowing some mean harp...and you can really hear where
guys like Rod got some inspiration.

The next chorus (last chorus of the song) has the guys
trading two bars at a time, with Rod starting off.

Didn't mean to go on so long, just wanted to lend my
thoughts. As always, I feed my CD collection from
BlueBeat Music - www.bluebeatmusic.com

Hope this helps

-Dennis Gruenling
www.dennisgruenling.com