Re: [Harp-L] Low Z mics - Transformers

> a good quality piece of equipment
> that will do the job right

I can help with the first but not the second. I've read (G's explanation notwithstanding) that sound quality among brands varies greatly and that the transformer to buy is the Shure A95UF. So I bought one.

On the bright side, it can be described in words that don't have the letters *, !, #, @, or $.

On the other hand, I'm happiest when I'm not using it. Transformers seem to diminish the qualities that make a vocal mic appealing. Instead I use a tube preamp, an Art TPS that wasn't terribly expensive and fits the rack that I take to gigs anyway. Through the preamp I like the sound vastly more.

The Shure is only $35, so you have an opportunity to take the first-class trip and evaluate for yourself.